Wine and Spirits Top 100 Wineries
Wine Spectator Top 100 2010
Wine Spectator Top 100 2011

Ciel Du Cheval Vineyard Reserve


Crushed gently and dropped by gravity into 1.5 ton bins, cold soaked 72 hours, then inoculated with a variety of yeasts, hand punched and pressed directly to barrel where the wine finished both primary and secondary fermentations.



Ciel du Cheval Vineyard located in the Red Mountain Appellation was the first vineyard planted on Red Mountain in 1975.  Owner Jim Holmes farms the vineyard on this revered site and credits the success of Ciel du Cheval, which is French for Horse Heaven, to “dirt and climate, climate and dirt.”

Tasting Notes

Dark and chocolatey, spiced with pretty notes of allspice and clove, this wine is round and rich, bursting with ripe berries, combined with an earthy complexity and a velvety finish.



Wine Details

Release Info: Released Fall 2016

Appelation: Red Mountain

• 100% Ciel du Cheval Vineyard

• 60% Cabernet Sauvignon
• 10% Merlot
• 30% Cabernet Franc

Cooperage: The wine spent 22 months on 75% new French oak with the remaining 25% second vintage French oak. Select barrels from the best forests of Taransaud, Boutes, Quintessance, and Vicard cooperages.

Acidity & PH: pH 3.63 & Total Acidity 0.64

Alcohol: 14.5%

Cases: 200 Cases

Prices: $50/bottle   $540/case